jaslinja갤로그로 이동합니다. 2023.09.30 20:09:13
조회 210 추천 1 댓글 1

2023년은 1923년 태어난 조지 러셀 탄생 100주년.

https://amhistory.si.edu/jazz/Russell-George/Russell_George_Transcript.pdf

원문

2000년에 이뤄진 인터뷰 데이터를 스미소니언 재단에서 스크립트로 무료 배포하고 있어,

111페이지짜리 인터뷰를 일단 유용해보이는 살만 발라서 번역해봤음.

그마저도 분량이 매우 방대함에 주의하시길..

이 자료가 어딘가 도움이 될 수 있기를.. 바라며 스미소니언에서도 소장하고 있었겠지?

내용은 기본적으로 시간 순으로 진행되며 이해에 도움이 될 자료를 두 개 정도 첨부했음.

1부

1. 1940년대

2. 길 에반스 모임

3. 1940년대 후반과 레녹스 재즈 스쿨

2부

4. 리디언 크로매틱 컨셉 1

5. 북유럽 활동

6. 미국으로 돌아와, 리디언 크로매틱 컨셉 2

3부

7. 중력에 대해

8. 에필로그

4. Lydian Chromatic Concept

Russell: It’s based on a Lydian chromatic scale, and that’s the scale. You can’t – that’s

the whole palette of equal temperament. So all scales are in the Lydian chromatic scale,

including the major scale. All scales are in it. In the major scale, it immediately brought

in 7 other major scales. So you have the ordinary major scale, but then you have the

Lydian augmented major, Lydian diminished major, diminished major with a flat

seventh, and on up. So you have a group of major chords. It’s only for those who can

think big. It is huge. It covers all of music. That’s why that book has Coltrane in it, but it

also has Bach, and it also has Ravel. It shows that Ravel wasn’t using a major scale. It

shows a little bit of Stravinsky’s piece, shows what he’s actually doing. So look at it this

way: for 400 years there had been attempts. That’s the river trip.

러셀 : 이것은 리디안 크로매틱 스케일을 기반으로 하며, 모든 음계는 리디안 크로매틱 음계 안에 있습니다. 메이저 스케일도 포함해 모든 스케일이요. 메이저 스케일 하나로 바로 7개의 다른 메이저스케일이 포함되죠. 따라서 일반 메이저 스케일에서 리디안 aug major, 리디안 dim maj, dim maj +플랫7 등등을 생각할 수 있고, 이것들의 주요 코드들 모두 리디안 크로매틱 스케일에 포함됩니다.

이것은 거대하죠. 현재의 서양음악 전체를 커버할 수 있니다. 그래서 제 책 안에는 콜트레인 뿐만 아니라 바흐와 라벨도 있습니다. 라벨은 메이저 스케일을 사용하지 않았고요. 스트라빈스키 작품을 발췌했는데, 그가 실제로 무엇을 했는지 보여줍니다. 400년 동안 실제로 이러한 시도가 있었습니다. 강을 따라 여행하는 것이죠.

Daughtry: 400 years there’s been attempts . . .

Russell: There have, there was – for 400 years, music theory has tried to come up with

something that explained music beyond Bach. This is the only one that does it.

Daughtry: It seemed that for a long time, they got very caught up in just the major and

minor scales.

Russell: Yeah. It got to be a – that’s because it was not founded on anything except

superficial something. “Oh, I like that F in a C-major scale. I like it. It sounds good.”

That’s all it was. That’s the only reason they had it, because it was laying there, and it

sounds good. They had no objective view of it. So, what I did is a ladder of fifths and

built up to this magnificent all-in-one scale. All scales are within the Lydian chromatic

scale.

도트리 : 400년동안 이미 시도가 있었다라..

러셀 : 400년 동안, 바흐 중심의 전통에서 벗어나는 음악들을 설명하려 했지만 그걸 해낸건 리디언 크로매틱 스케일이 유일합니다.

도트리 : 오랜 시간동안 그들은 장조와 단조에만 매달려있었던 것 같군요.

러셀 : 맞아요. 하지만 이건 단단한 기반 위에 우리의 음악을 세우지 않았기 떄문이었죠. 그냥 "오, 나는 C장조의 F음이 좋아. 마음에 들어. 좋은 소리야." 그게 전부였어요. 그냥 그 음이 거기 있었고, 그 소리가 좋았던 것이죠. 명확한 목표나 이해가 없었어요. 아무튼 내가 한 일은 5도의 사다리를 가지고 강력한 올인원 음계로 만든 겁니다. 모든 음계는 리디언 크로매틱 스케일 안에 포함되어 있습니다.

019ef368e2db3e8650bbd58b36807c6aba06

Daughtry: I had mentioned yesterday, in talking about the scales and all that, about the

fifth and the fourth, the augmented fourth and the flatted fifth. I was looking at the scale

and remembering what you had been telling me and looking at the fact that that fourth

note is the F, and of course that’s the basis for the Lydian and just reminding myself of

there. It’s funny, because if they would only teach that to kids in school. They teach kids

the so-fa system, which is the do-re-mi, and if they . . .

도트리 : 어제 스케일에 대해 얘기할 때 제가 4도와 5도, 그러니까 증4와 감5도 얘기를 했었습니다. 리디안 스케일에서 당신이 말씀해왔던 게 기억이 나더라고요. 네 번째 음인 F가 리디언 스케일의 핵심이잖아요. 좀 재밌는 생각이 든게, 학교에서 아이들에게 가르치는건 하나 뿐이지 않습니까. 학교에서는 도레미파 시스템을 가르치지만, 만약에...

Russell: ii-V-I.

Daughtry: Yeah, and if they would simply – so they build in that dead end almost, right

then and there. If they would open their minds up a little bit, that’s the time to do it.

That’s the time to do it and help them to understand and extend their thinking beyond this

. . .

러셀 : 2-5-1?

도트리 : 그렇죠. 적절한 시기에 적절한 행동을 취하지 않으면 돌아올 수 없는 길로 이끌게 되어버려요. 아이들이 스스로 생각을 확장시키고자 한다면, 그 적절한 시기가 이 때 겠죠. 그때가 바로 그렇게 하는 시기이고, 배운걸 이해하고 그 이상으로 생각을 확장하도록 아이들을 돕는거죠.

Russell: This is a mind opener. This is the mind opener.

Daughtry: Yes it is. So the Lenox, you were teaching the Lydian, and you had some

tremendous students who – that must have been a lot of fun for you.

Russell: Fun?

Daughtry: It was a challenge too, I bet.

Russell: 이것은 정말로 마음을 열어주긴 해요. 그렇죠.

Daughtry: 맞아요. 그래서 Lenox에서 레슨을 하셨고, 당신을 재밌게하는 훌륭한 학생들을 가르쳤으리라 생각합니다.

Russell: 재미?

Daughtry: 동시에 도전이었을 거예요, 분명.

Russell: No, that was a gift. Ornette played a meaningful role in his playing, because it

was that that showed me how to include all that I – I had come up with a scale that could

do all and everything.

러셀 : 아니요, 그것은 선물이었어요. Ornette는 연주에서 의미 있는 역할을 했어요. 음악계 전체를 포괄하는 스케일을 만들 수 있을 방법을 나에게 보여주었죠.

Daughtry: You talk about equal temperament. It just occurred to me, and maybe this is

not appropriate, but Ornette, here’s a guy who challenges the whole thing of the tempered

scale and all of that. So yes, challenge. That must have really been a challenge as well as .

. .

도트리 : 지금 평균율의 관점에서 이야기하고 계시는데, Ornette는 평균율 전체에 도전하는 사람이었습니다. 그래서 네, 도전이었을 것이라고 생각됩니다. 그것은 정말 도전이자...

Russell: I don’t deal with anything except equal temperament. So I’m not into certain

forms of music that mess with temperament.

러셀 : 나는 평균율 말고는 다룬것이 없습니다. 나는 다른 음정을 섞는 음악에는 관심이 없었죠.

Daughtry: Go outside the laws. Yeah. There’s some chaos involved there, when you do

that.

Russell: Well, it just doesn’t interest me.

도트리 : 규칙을 벗어나는 것이죠. 맞아요, 그럴 때 혼돈이 따르기도 합니다.

러셀: 음, 그냥 그게 내가 흥미가 없었어요.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

5. 북유럽 활동

Russell: . . . chaos, complete chaos. You’d have people that never held a horn in their

mouth coming to you and saying, “Just show me how to play. I don’t want to know

anything about music. Just, how do you get sounds out of this?” So I said, I can’t – and

furthermore, they – on a political side, there was a movement into supposedly a free

society, but at that time, to me the communists didn’t have a free society. It was –

festivals and everything were promoted by communists in Russia. I didn’t – I didn’t join

in on that thing.

러셀 : ...혼돈, 완전한 혼돈. 한번도 자기 입으로 호른을 불어본 적 없는 사람이 나에게 와서 "그냥 연주 방법을 보여줘요. 내가 음악에 대해 알 필요는 없고, 이걸 소리를 어떻게 내는 거죠?" 라고 말하곤 했어요. 그래서 나는 못한다고 말했죠.

더구나 정치적으로.. 그 당시에는 자유로운 사회를 주장하는 흐름이 있었지만, 나는 공산주의자들의 사회는 자유롭지 않았다고 생각했어요. 러시아의 축제와 모든 것들은 공산주의자들이 주선했죠. 나는 그 무리에 합류하지 않았습니다.

Daughtry: What made you decide on Sweden?

Russell: Sweden was neutral and has always been neutral and always will be neutral.

Daughtry: Wasn’t communist or capitalist.

Russell: No, not at all. They usually – it’s their style to stay away from things that would

identify them with this or that way.

Daughtry: I’m told that when you arrived there, you weren’t in the best of health. Is that

accurate?

Russell: Um-hmm. I wasn’t.

Daughtry: What had happened to you?

도트리 : 스웨덴으로 가서 살기로 결정한 이유는 무엇이었을까요?

러셀 : 스웨덴은 중립국이었고, 지금까지도 앞으로도 중립국으로 남을 것 같아서였죠.

도트리 : 자본주의나 공산주의 어느쪽도 아닌.

러셀 : 아니요. 그게 아니라 그냥 그 사람들은 자기들을 이쪽 혹은 저쪽으로 규정하는 일 자체를 피하려고 해요.

도트리 : 스웨덴으로 이주할 당시, 건강이 썩 좋지는 않을 때였죠?

러셀 : 네. 그랬죠.

도트리 : 당신에게 무슨 일이 있었나요?

Russell: I had – as you know, had tuberculosis. It hadn’t – what happened was – this is

going back a long way. I’m just taking a little time – what happened was, a botched

operation at New York University Hospital, dealing with my stomach. The doctor had

said, “I’m going to” – he said, “Usually I wouldn’t do this, but I’m going to release you,”

because what had happened, George Wein had invited my group to partake in one of his

round-the-world extravaganzas. I wanted to go. I went in a wheelchair. It was – I had had

an operation, and the doctor was probably an alcoholic, because he left some things in my

stomach. They left some of their – so I guess you could say I wasn’t feeling too well. But

very shortly after – during the tour, I decided – actually, I wrote to a nightclub in Sweden,

and they gave me a date for me getting a band together – small band. That’s what – when

I finished with George Wein, and I remember it was the bottom of Italy there, I went off

to Stockholm. They welcomed me very heartily.

러셀 : 알다시피 나는 결핵을 앓았습니다. 오래된 얘기긴 한데, 그때 뉴욕 대학 병원에서 위 수술을 받았는데 수술이 실패하는 바람에 조금 힘든 시기를 보내고 있었습니다. 의사가 "보통은 이렇게 하지 않지만, 퇴원시켜드리겠다" 고 했죠. 수술이 잘 안된 탓이었죠. George Wein이 내 그룹을 월드투어에 초대했었고, 나는 가고 싶었습니다. 휠체어 신세로 투어를 했죠.

수술을 받은 후에도 제 상태는 좋지 않았다고 말할 수 있겠습니다. 의사가 아마 알코올 중독자였지 않나 해요. 제 위장에 뭔가를 놓고 봉합을 했다는 겁니다. 아무튼 투어 중에.. 스웨덴의 한 나이트클럽에 내가 편지를 썼고, 그들이 저에게 공연날짜와 소규모지만 밴드를 구성해준다더군요. 그래서 조지 와인과의 투어가 끝나고, 이탈리아 남부 끝자락이었던 걸로 기억하는데 거기서 스톡홀름으로 떠났습니다. 그들은 나를 매우 환영해 주었습니다.

Daughtry: So you were well received there.

Russell: I was well received. I stayed a long time. A man named Bosse Broberg was the

head of the jazz system of the time. He took care of all the jazz music. He just took his

hat off. They recorded everything I ever did.

Daughtry: 그곳에서 잘 받아들여졌군요.

러셀: 그렇습니다. 나는 오랜 시간 동안 머물렀습니다. Bosse Broberg라는 남자가 그 시기의 재즈 시스템을 이끌었습니다. 그는 모든 재즈 음악을 담당했습니다. 그는 그냥 모자를 내려놓았죠. 그들은 내가 한 모든 것을 녹음했습니다.

Daughtry: While you were over . . .?

Russell: Yeah. It took two or three years.

Daughtry: Had Bosse been familiar with your work before you arrived?

Russell: Yeah, he must have.

Daughtry: Or he got to know you shortly after that?

Russell: Yeah, he got the money to give me for anything I wanted to do. He’s still alive

today, and we’re still friends. Got a letter from him downstairs.

Daughtry: 당신이 거기 있는...?

러셀: 네. 두세 해가 걸렸어요.

Daughtry: 보세는 당신의 작업들을 알고 있었나요? 도착하기 전에?

러셀: 네, 그랬을겁니다.

Daughtry: 아니면 당신을 만난 이후에 알게 되었나요?

러셀: 그는 내가 하고 싶은 모든 것을 위해 돈을 주려고 했어요. 그는 지금도 살아있고, 우린 아직 친구입니다. 아래층에 그의 편지를 갖고있어요.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Russell: As I said, I had gotten a small group of young musicians together between

Stockholm and Norway. But before that, I should say, at one of the Norwegian festivals I

heard some musicians who never had been out of Norway play, sort of late-night play. I

could have been on 125th Street in New York. That’s the way they played.

러셀 : 내가 말한대로, 나는 스톡홀름과 노르웨이의 젊은 음악가들을 한 무리로 모았습니다. 그런데 그 전에, 말해야될게 노르웨이의 한 축제에서 늦은 시간에 한 연주를 들었는데, 마치 뉴욕 125번가에 있는 것 같았죠. 노르웨이 밖으로 나가본 적도 없는 연주자들인데. 그런 연주를 하더군요.

Daughtry: Is that right? Okay. They had the real jazz feeling, the urban.

Russell: Yeah. They were incredible. It was Jan Garbarek . . .

Daughtry: Okay. I was going to ask you about him.

Russell: Jan Garbarek . . .

Daughtry: Terje . . .

Russell: Terje Rypdal.

Daughtry: Rypdal. Is that his name? How do you pronounce his last name?

Russell: Terje Rypdal.

Daughtry: They’re both Norwegian, aren’t they?

Russell: Guitar player.

Daughtry: Are they both Norwegian?

Russell: Yeah, but then the drummer was beautiful. I can’t think of his name right now.

Daughtry: We’ll remember his name in a minute.

Russell: Drummer and bass player.

Daughtry: But you heard them playing, and they had the feeling.

Daughtry: 그들은 리얼 재즈를 지니고 있었군요, 모던..

Russell: 네, 그들은 놀라웠죠. 그들 중에는 얀 가바렉 . . .

Daughtry: 아. 저도 그에 대해 물어보려고 했거든요.

Russell: 얀 가바렉 . . .

Daughtry: 터르제 . . .

Russell: 테르예 립달.

Daughtry: 륍달. 그분의 성을 어떻게 발음하나요?

Russell: 테르예 립달.

Daughtry: 그들 둘 다 노르웨이인 맞죠?

Russell: 네, 그런데 드러머도 아름다웠어요. 지금은 그의 이름이 생각나지 않네요.

Daughtry: 곧 기억날 거예요.

Russell: 드러머와 베이스 플레이어.

Daughtry: 아무튼 그들이 연주하는 걸 들었고, 그들이 그런 느낌을 지니고 있었군요.

Russell: Yeah. I got them all. They all became members of my group. Not – they didn’t

just stay in Norway. They moved to Stockholm and did things in Stockholm. When I’d

go to Italy or something, they’d go. Finally, they were signed over to a company that only

specialized in jazz.

러셀 : 네. 난 그들을 다 모아서 우리 그룹의 멤버로 삼았죠. 그들은 노르웨이에만 머물지 않았어요. 스톡홀름으로 이사와서 거기서도 활약했어요. 내가 이탈리아에 가면 그들도 같이 갔죠. 결국에는 그들은 재즈 전문 회사에 계약을 맺고 갔지만요.

Daughtry: ECM Records. Manfred Eichner or something.

Russell: Yeah. Manfred Eicher. That’s right. I felt robbed, because he took all the people.

He had heard my group. He made an offer that to me, it didn’t make any sense. But that

group became world travelers for a number of years.

도트리 : ECM레코드. 만프레드 아이크너였나요.

Russell: 네. 만프레드 아이허. 맞네요. 나는 도둑맞은 느낌이었어요. 그가 내 사람들을 다 데려갔죠. 그는 내 그룹을 들어보고 나에게 제안을 했어요. 크게 와닿는 조건은 아니었죠. 어쨌거나 그 그룹은 몇 년 동안 월드 투어를 했죠.

Daughtry: And still are.

Here’s one thing that Jan Garbarek had to say about you. He said, “George enlightened

me about a different way of playing music, an analytical way which enabled me to go on

learning about music on my own.”

도트리 : 아직도 그렇죠. 얀 가바렉이 당신에 대해 한 말이 있어요. "조지 러셀은 나에게 음악을 연주하는 또 하나의 길을 열어줬다. 그건 나 계속 혼자서도 음악을 학습할 수 있도록 해줬다."

Russell: Yeah, he’d never studied music – that’s funny – except the Concept.

Daughtry: He’s a great musician who many people appreciate.

Russell: He is something.

Daughtry: And many people don’t realize his real creative efforts came out of studying

with you, once you took him under your wing.

Russell: Well, he had something before he met me. As I said, when I heard him, he was

playing like Trane. I thought, how could this little kid here in Norway . . .

Daughtry: Half a world away.

Russell: . . . be – sound like Coltrane. But the Concept he embraced.

러셀: 그래, 음악을 공부한 적이 없었죠. 재미있죠. 리디안 컨셉을 제외하고.

도트리: 그는 많은 사람들이 인정하는 훌륭한 음악가죠.

러셀: 정말 물건이었죠.

도트리: 얀 가바렉이 창조적인 작품을 만들기 시작한 건, 당신 밑에서 배우고 난 이후라는 사실을 다들 모르는 것 같아요.

러셀: 음.. 나를 만나기 전에도 그한테는 뭔가가 있었어요. 전에 말했듯이 그의 연주를 처음 들었을 때 콜트레인처럼 연주하고 있었죠. 정말 어떻게 여기 노르웨이에서 이런 어린애가...

도트리: 지구의 절반이나 멀리 떨어져있었죠.

러셀: ...어떻게 이런 어린애가 콜트레인처럼 불지? 그래도 그는 리디안 크로매틱 컨셉을 흡수했죠.

Daughtry: Yeah, I think obviously he had talent, raw talent, but it really opened him up.

He has always, even today, been a very interesting player to hear. He’s got a record out

now. I’m trying to think of the name of it. But the larger point I want to make is that I

continue to find his approach interesting. One of the reasons I find it interesting is

because his explorations are open, and the songs he writes are open. That’s obviously the

influence of Lydian, which he is still working and developing to this day. Now I don’t

know – I can’t say that that’s all that he does, that’s the only thing that he brings to it, but

it’s made a big difference.

도트리: 네, 분명 그는 아주 날것의 재능을 가지고 있었지만, 리디안 크로매틱 컨셉이 그의 세계를 열었어요. 지금까지도 매우 흥미로운 연주자 중 한 명으로 남아있죠. 마침 앨범을 또 내놓은 것 같은데, 이름이 지금 생각은 안나는군요. 어쨌든 제 말의 핵심은 음악에 대한 그의 접근법이 우리에게 계속해서 흥미로움을 준다는 거예요. 그의 탐험은 열린 상태이고, 그가 쓰는 노래들도 열려 있어요. 이것은 분명히 LCC의 영향이고, 그는 오늘날까지도 이를 계속해서 발전시키고 있어요. 그가 해온게 그것뿐이라고는 말할 수 없지만, 그게 큰 차이를 만들어 준건 맞아요.

Russell: He’s never been – how can I put it? – he’s never been quiet about his association

with me. He’s always . . .

Daughtry: He’s very proud of it.

Russell: Yeah. He’s always been very positive about that and very lovely to say . . .

Daughtry: Very positive, very complimentary.

Russell: . . . “George is my first teacher.”

러셀: 얀은 언제나 나와의 연관성에 대해 말해왔어요. 맨날 그...

도트리: 스스로도 자랑스러운가 봐요.

러셀: 네. 항상 거기에 대해서 긍정적이고 친절하게..

도트리: 아주 긍정적이고 아주 칭찬적이에요.

러셀: "...조지 러셀은 나의 첫 번째 스승입니다."

Daughtry: Yes, he has – you’re quite right about that. I’ve heard some interviews that

he’s done, and your name has come up in both of the two I’ve heard.

Russell: He’s a sweetheart. When I met them, the two or three kids in the band were

going with nice women. They all married. He’s married. He has kids. It’s funny how

people . . .

도트리: 맞아요, 제가 들은 두 개의 인터뷰에서 모두 당신의 이름이 언급되었어요.

러셀: 그는 정말 친절하죠. 내가 그들을 만났을 때, 밴드 내 두세 명 정도는 좋은 여자들과 사귀고 있었어요. 다 결혼했어. 얀도 결혼했어. 자녀도 있고. 인간들이 얼마나 재밌는지...

Daughtry: That’s part of your legacy out there, George, Jan and Terje.

Russell: Terje’s a little wacky, but he’s something. He was very popular in this rock . . .

도트리: 당신이 남긴 유산 중 하나예요, 어쩌면 얀과 테르예.

러셀: 테르예는 좀 이상한 놈이지만, 뭐 그친구도 물건이었어요. 그는 그 록에서 유명ㅎ...

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

6. 미국으로 돌아와, Lydian Chromatic Concept

Daughtry: We’ll look it up. The records, I think, were well received. Many people were

talking about the unusual nature of both records, the Electronic Sonata for the use of the

electronics and what that meant to a lot of people. There was a lot of debate and

discussion about that at the time. What was your thinking with regard to the whole idea

of integrating electronics into the music, your philosophy perhaps?

도트리: 자 브리핑해 볼게요. 레코드들, 제가 보기에 꽤 호평을 받았어요. 많은 사람들이 두 장의 '일렉트로닉 소나타'와 그것이 미친 영향에 대해 이야기했죠. 당시에는 이에 대한 논쟁과 토의가 많았습니다. 전자 음악을 도입하는데 당신의 전체적인 아이디어나 철학은 무엇이었습니까?

Russell: You want to get – I want to take music to a place it’s never been. Any time I sit

down, I want to take music to a place it hasn’t visited before. So . . .

Daughtry: That was another opportunity. Again at the end of the ’60s, you were – we

find you returning to the United States. As I understand it, Gunther Schuller contacted

you.

러셀: 나는 음악을 한 번도 가보지 못한 곳으로 갖고가고 싶어요. 앉아서 작업할떄면 언제나 음악을 그런 곳으로 안내하고 싶죠. 그래서...

도트리: 그건 또 다른 기회였죠. 다시 60년대 말에, 당신은 미국으로 돌아오게 되었는데, 건서 쉴러가 연락했다고 들었어요.

Russell: Yeah, he did.

Daughtry: There was a newly formed jazz department at the New England Conservatory

of Music?

Russell: Yeah, that was 1949, I think.

Daughtry: 1969?

Russell: ’49. 1969? No, no. It had to be 1949.

Stitt: That’s the summer. You all talked about it yesterday, the summer workshop that

you did.

Russell: Wait a minute.

Stitt: Gunther Schuller was head of the classical there, but not the jazz.

Russell: I could be wrong, but . . .

러셀: 그래, 맞죠.

도트리: 뉴 잉글랜드 음악원에 신설된 재즈 학과가 있었나요?

러셀: 그래, 그게 1949년이었던 것 같네요.

도트리: 1969년?

러셀: 49년이요. 1969년? 아냐, 아냐. 1949년이어야 돼요.

스팃: 그거는 여름이죠. 어제 그 여름 워크샵에 대해 이야기했잖아요.

러셀: 잠깐만요.

스팃 : 건서 쉴러는 거기서 고전 음악을 담당했고 재즈는 아니었어요.

러셀: 내가 틀린 걸 수도 있는데...

Daughtry: You’re probably thinking about a different association with Gunther. But I

mean when you came to the New England Conservatory of Music to begin teaching. That

was ’69, I believe.

Russell: ’69, yeah.

Daughtry: Was Gunther the president of the Conservatory at the time?

Russell: Sure was.

도트리: 아마 건서와 했던 다른 걸 생각한 것 같아요. 당신이 뉴 잉글랜드 음악 학원에 가르치러 온 건 1969년이예요. 제가 알기로는.

러셀: 네, 69년 맞아.

도트리: 그 당시에 건서는 음악원장이었나요?

러셀: 당연히 그랬어요.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Daughtry: Once a week, okay. So once a week you’re preparing for students to come in

and to impart this information about this very interesting and complex system, concept.

What was going on with the Lydian and you? Where was it, and where were you?

도트리: 일주일에 한 번, 알겠습니다. 그래서 일주일에 한 번씩 학생들을 맞이하고 이 매우 흥미로운 그리고 복잡한 시스템, LCC에 관한 정보를 전달하려고 준비했었군요. 리디안과 당신의 상황은 어땠죠? 어디에 계셨고 무슨 일이 있었나요?

Russell: It was growing more and more clear that it was the right way to go. It’s not that

complex.

Daughtry: We began to see the word “vertical form” around this time also. Was that a

part of what you just said there in terms of . . . ?

Russell: I remember writing a composition, Vertical Form, largely because people didn’t

think in terms of vertical or horizontal.

Daughtry: People didn’t think in terms of vertical or horizontal.

러셀: 그때쯤 이 길이 맞다는 생각이 더욱 분명해졌습니다. 그리 복잡한 것은 아니에요.

도트리: 이때쯤 "수직 형태(Vertical Form)"라는 용어를 보게 되었던데, 이것이 방금 말한 것과 관련이 있나요?

러셀: 수직이나 수평으로 생각하지 않는다는 사람들이 많았기 때문에 '수직 형태'라는 곡을 쓰게 된 기억이 나네요.

도트리 : 사람들이 수직, 수평으로 생각하지 않아서..

Russell: They didn’t. There were no terms to describe that kind of playing at that time.

So the Concept is the first theory to give things names and give certain behaviors names.

You get one tenor player, and he plays vertically. You named him yesterday. The tenor

player.

러셀: 그들은 그렇게 하지 않았죠. 사실 당시에는 그런 연주를 설명할 용어가 없었습니다. 그래서 이 이론은 처음으로 그런 연주와 그러한 특정 행위에 이름을 붙인 이론인 것이죠. 테너 연주자 한 명, 그는 수직적으로 연주해요. 어제 그 테너 색소폰 연주자의 이름을 언급했지요.

Daughtry: He plays vertically. The tenor player. When I think of the tenor player, I think

of John Coltrane.

도트리: 그는 수직적으로 연주하죠. 저는 테너 연주자를 생각해보라면, 존 콜트레인을 떠올라요.

Russell: Well, Coltrane. Let’s take Coltrane. Coltrane’s manner of playing is vertical.

Very rarely does he open up to horizonal and give the – an approaching tonic station a

color, let people know where he’s going. He doesn’t play like that. He colors the chord of

the moment. That’s the way he plays. He’s a unity with the chord of the moment.

Essentially he’s a unity with it. Lester Young is playing to an approaching chord, over –

like over a bridge. That’s why he is – he ends up having a behavior that’s – musical

behavior that’s showing the listener where he’s going. It travels. Coltrane doesn’t travel.

It’s like him and the chord meet.

러셀: 아, 콜트레인. 콜트레인에 대해 얘기해보죠. 그의 연주는 수직적입니다. 그는 거의 수평적으로 연주하지 않고, 토닉음을 드러내지 않음으로써 사람들이 그가 어디쯤에 있는지 알려주지 않으려하죠. 대신에 순간순간의 코드에만 집중하죠. 그것이 그가 하는 방식입니다. 그 순간의 진행과 하나가 된 것이죠. 본질적으로 융합된 것입니다.

레스터 영은 다가올 코드를 향해서 연주합니다. 다리를 건너는 것 처럼요. 청자에게 자기가 가고 있는 길을 보여주는 행동을, 음악적 행동을 하는 겁니다. 여행같은거죠. 콜트레인은 여행하지 않아요. 코드와 그가 만나는 것이라고 할 수 있겠습니다.

Daughtry: At rocket speed. I’m just remembering now, the other player I mentioned, and

that may be who you are referring to, is Coleman Hawkins.

Daughtry: 로켓 속도죠. 지금 생각났는데, 그 어제 언급했었던 테너연주자는 콜맨 호킨스였네요.

Russell: Coleman Hawkins was what I was trying to get you to say. Hawkins – Trane is a

direct picture of Coleman Hawkins. He took it to another level, Trane, because he had the

opportunity to be older than Coleman Hawkins. So he was even more so than Coleman

Hawkins, vertical. He colored the chords, and he was a unity with the genre of the chord,

right on through. That’s one way to get down the chord steam. Concept used those terms.

No other book did that. Still don’t do it.

Russell: 콜맨 호킨스를 얘기하려고 했었어요. 호킨스 – 콜트레인은 콜맨 호킨스보다 선명한 버전이라 할 수 있습니다. 그는 더 높은 수준으로 끌고 갔죠. 그는 코드에 색을 칠했고, 거기에 완전히 융합되었어요. 그런 식으로 코드 진행을 따라가는 방법이 있죠. 이런 용어들로 저는 설명했어요.

추천 비추천

고정닉 1

원본 첨부파일 1

댓글 영역

전체 댓글 0
등록순정렬 기준선택
본문 보기

하단 갤러리 리스트 영역

왼쪽 컨텐츠 영역

갤러리 리스트 영역

갤러리 리스트
번호 말머리 제목 글쓴이 작성일 조회 추천
2864 설문 비난 여론에도 뻔뻔하게 잘 살 것 같은 스타는? 운영자 24/06/03 - -
644 공지 즉흥연주 갤러리 가이드라인 (필독) Mahavishnu갤로그로 이동합니다. 22.06.24 732 2
1261 공지 주딱 호출벨: 게시판 운영과 봇 관련 문의/의견 사항 [9] Mahavishnu갤로그로 이동합니다. 23.02.25 295 0
2252 공지 [어그로]에 대한 조항. Mahavishnu갤로그로 이동합니다. 23.06.11 241 4
1168 공지 (2023/02/21) 즉흥갤봇 업데이트 및 시험 운행 [11] Mahavishnu갤로그로 이동합니다. 23.02.21 492 6
373 공지 허풍쟁이를 위한 재즈연주 가이드 [3] Mahavishnu갤로그로 이동합니다. 22.02.19 906 11
3113 💬 이 분에게 레슨을 받아볼까 생각중인데 조언을 부탁드립니다! [1] 즉콩이(118.235) 06.07 146 0
3112 음추 재즈인데 이노래 제목 아시는분있나요 즉콩이(221.167) 06.06 41 0
3111 소식 공연소식 [1] jaslinja갤로그로 이동합니다. 06.05 92 1
3110 탑스터 빅밴드 20선 [2] 즉콩이(211.36) 06.05 69 2
3109 💬 prelude [3] ㄱ..(223.38) 06.05 47 0
3107 💬 입문 리스너 질문드려도 될까요 [8] 재즈초심자갤로그로 이동합니다. 06.03 149 0
3106 💬 재즈를 종종 듣는 계?기 [4] 독갤빌런갤로그로 이동합니다. 06.03 135 0
3105 💬 재즈 질문 [1] 즉콩이(106.101) 06.03 77 0
3104 💬 트럼펫 연주 이렇게 가능한 사람 국내에 있어?? [1] ㅇㅇ(211.245) 06.03 85 0
3103 💬 여자보컬있는게 맘에 안드는점 보털(110.70) 06.02 53 1
3102 💬 재즈 교재 추천해줄수있나여 [7] 즉콩이(175.193) 06.02 102 0